The Fujitsu Group Environmental Vision
“ Fujitsu Climate and Energy Vision ”
The Fujitsu Group has reassessed its social role in light of the escalating global commitment to achieving carbon neutrality. The Group has elected to fast-track its previous commitment to achieve “zero CO2 emissions within the Group by FY2050”, instead bringing forward its Vision by 20 years to FY2030. The Group has set the additional target of reaching net-zero greenhouse gas emissions (*1) throughout the value chain by 2040.
- *1Net-zero greenhouse gas emissions: Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 90% in the target year in comparison to the base year, and re-absorbing remaining emissions (of 10% or less) from the atmosphere through direct air capture (DAC) technologies or by planting trees.
The Importance of Responding to Climate Change
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report “Global Warming of 1.5°C“ articulated the need to limit warming to 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels and to achieve carbon neutrality by 2050. With social roles expanding and additional demands placed on companies to tackle climate change, in October 2021 the Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi) (*2) launched the world’s first Net-Zero Standard for companies to set net-zero strategies.
In order to resolve issues related to climate change, the Fujitsu Group decided to revise the Group’s previous commitment to "zero CO2 emissions by 2050", pursuing instead a more ambitious strategy than simply net-zero. This requires the Group to look beyond social trends and become the very embodiment of a leading SX company, one that drives the achievement of carbon neutrality.
The new vision comprises three pillars, namely, Value chain: Achieve net-zero emissions, Mitigation: Contribute to a carbon-neutral society, and Adaptation: Contribute to climate change adaptation measures. The Fujitsu Group will be quick to leverage advanced DX technologies to tackle its own net-zero strategies, and will make the resulting expertise available as Fujitsu Group solutions for customers and society. In so doing, the Group aims to leverage its own business activities to contribute to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- *2Science Based Target Initiative (SBTi): An initiative jointly established by the United Nations Global Compact, the World Resources Institute (WRI), and other organizations in 2015. It encourages companies to set GHG emission reduction targets consistent with science-based evidence to the level required by the Paris Agreement, validating targets that comply with criteria including indirect emissions not only within the company but also in the supply chain.
Three pillars of the Fujitsu Climate and Energy Vision
Achieving Net-zero Emissions in the Fujitsu Group Value Chain
In August 2017, the Fujitsu Group’s 2 °C-aligned greenhouse gas emission reduction target earned its SBTi certification. In April 2021, the Group obtained certification for its 1.5 °C ambition level (*3) which increased the target from 33% reduction in emissions to 71.4% throughout its business sites by FY2030, against a baseline of FY2013.
To accelerate the move toward carbon neutrality, the Group set a new target to achieve net-zero emissions from the Group’s business activities by FY2030, and from the entire value chain by FY2040, thus earning Net-Zero Target certification from SBTi in June 2023.
- *31.5°C: According to a report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), a 1.5 °C increase in average temperature increases the risks of extreme weather, sea level rise, adverse health effects, food shortages, and water scarcity. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP) states that the increase in the global average temperature shall be limited to less than 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels in order to avoid the worst effects of climate change.
Roadmap to Net-Zero
Contributing to a Carbon-neutral Society
The Fujitsu Group contributes to the decarbonization of society by creating ecosystems with customers in a variety of industries and business types. The key to mitigating climate change is to use AI and other advanced digital technologies to optimize energy efficiency. By building such technologies into a framework that transcends business, industry, and regional boundaries, the Group will achieve optimal utilization of energy throughout all systems in society.
Contributing to Climate Change Adaptation Measures
The key to adapting to climate change is advanced forecasting technology that uses simulations, AI and big data, enabled through sensing technologies and high-performance computing (HPC). Fujitsu will utilize these to create solutions that lead to resilient societal infrastructure as well as stable supply of agricultural crops and minimal food loss, thereby contributing to minimizing the harm that climate change causes to our customers and to society.