The automotive industry is entering a period of radical change - in the future, vehicles will be connected, autonomous, shared on-demand and electric. The industry’s main focus will, therefore, need to switch from production and the technical product to intelligent mobility and the customer experience. Prime drivers for industry disruption include; time savings, increased efficiency, cost reductions, and lower environmental impact.
The Future is Connected, Autonomous, Shared and Electric (CASE)
Connected car technology
Communication with other vehicles and devices
Time savings and increased safety
More affordable pay per use model
Lower emissions and reduced noise pollution
The automotive value chain will no longer end at the factory door – instead it will extend over the entire lifetime of the vehicle. Focusing solely on vehicle sales will no longer be enough, to stay ahead of competitors manufacturers will need to redistribute their R&D budget and invest more heavily in software solutions and digitalizing the automotive core.
It is estimated that 54% of new cars will be 'connected' by 2020. What does this mean for drivers and manufacturers?
Fujitsu connected car and mobility IoT solutions
The automotive industry will face many challenges on the road to CASE – Connected, Autonomous, Shared, Electric – including; managing opportunity and risk, maintaining growth in a competitive market, and ensuring data security. At Fujitsu, we combine innovative connected and autonomous vehicle technology with world-leading IT services, infrastructure and integration skills to deliver end-to-end solutions that overcome these challenges.
Our Over the Air Updates (OTA) technology provides the capability to update the engine components of a modern car over the air without needing to bring the car into a specialized garage to apply changes. It enables remote updates to target engine controlling components. When required, components ‘flash’ themselves when presented with the right software package. Required updates are supplied in a secure manner, applied in a way that ensures the update will not compromise the functionality of the vehicle and its components.
- provides mutual authentication and secure communication between the user, the Cloud, and the vehicle
- delivers secure verification based on digital signature/PKI
- identifies, integrates and applies the required updates only
- reduced costs and reputational damage associated with a product recall
- supports the move toward autonomous driving
- delivers an enhanced customer experience and reduced inconvenience
Autonomous driving has several challenges: engineering, regulatory, lack of industry standardized technology and tools, consumer trust, and acceptance. However, the biggest challenge will be the data volumes required for both training AI systems and for real-time decision making once these systems are deployed. By 2030 automotive big data, which will consist mainly of video data, is expected to exceed 60,000 petabytes. Our solution decreases data volumes and manages it in a distributed fashion - only the relevant data is collected. With video data optimization images are compressed and filtered.
- takes the raw data and in-vehicle components focus on reducing video data volumes using our codecs that is lighter than data lightened by H.265
- applies Fujitsu technology to reduce the size of the data without compromising data availability or quality
- learning algorithms to decide what information is critical or otherwise
- ability to better manage huge volumes of data
- reduced storage and associated maintenance costs
- availability of selected data for re-use/analysis
- maintenance of data integrity and quality
Fujitsu Shared & Service
In the field of mobility, the car sharing trend is growing and the key differentiator will be the ability to provide a seamless journey and great travel experience. We deliver solutions to connects all elements together. Our On-Demand Transportation Services and FIDO verification will match the travelers with the most suitable vehicle and drivers.
- Fujitsu SPATIOWL delivers real-time location data analytics
- Fujitsu cloud technology creates detailed, real-time models of traffic and people flow around a cities
- FIDO identifies individuals for the sharing era
- Fujitsu biometric authentication - fingerprint, iris, palm vein, and face scanning ensure data security
The shift to electric cars is progressing in major countries. However, there are various challenges to overcome such as unclear battery usage, remaining travelable distance, efficient traveling route, and location of battery stations. Fujitsu has the technologies needed to provide battery information and create a power consumption map.
- high-dimensional statistical analysis technology utilizing AI
- AI learns internal and external vehicle data such as the driving environment
- automatically generated battery performance model
Why choose Fujitsu as your connected car partner?
We have 50+ years of experience working within the automotive industry, and partner with car manufacturers such as Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Isuzu, Volkswagen, and Ford.
We take a collaborative and partner-oriented approach to developing sector-specific solutions and combine automotive industry insight with IT innovation to drive our cutting-edge industry solutions. Our automotive technology solutions focus on key issues across the entire value chain and are designed to help you compete in today’s challenging automotive environment.
Drawing on our extensive industry knowledge and proven global delivery capabilities we can help you realize your business goals.
How have Fujitsu IT solutions solved our automotive customers’ business challenges?
Fujitsu and Toyota
For Toyota, we launched a hydrogen station data management service based on our Intelligent Society Solution SPATIOWL. Our solution provides Mirai drivers with real-time information related to hydrogen stations in Japan including opening hours and location. Benefit:
Latest insights on Automotive
- The Future of Mobility
- Moving the Automotive industry from combustion to e-engine - Fujitsu Forum 2018
- SPATIOWL solution for hydrogen station data management service increases convenience
- Driving Automotive Innovation. Delivering scale, securing connectivity and reducing risk.
- Fujitsu Over the Air Updates deliver scale, secure connectivity and reduce risk.
- Accelerate your autonomous future with Fujitsu Automotive