NOTE: this is an archived page and the content is likely to be out of date.
Fujitsu Celebrates 20 Years of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY
Uwe Neumeier, Vice President Global Server Business, Fujitsu
“Over the last 20 years, Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers have helped to shape ICT, while setting new standards in quality, efficiency and agility. The new PRIMERGY generation is no exception and introduces innovations that contribute to solving data centre management challenges. Customers choosing PRIMERGY can be confident that they are buying a system which provides modular building blocks for future requirements of a business-centric data centre.”
Shannon Poulin, Vice President, Data Centre Group, Intel
“The new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family provides PRIMERGY servers with an incredible combination of performance, built-in capabilities and cost-effectiveness. Together with Fujitsu’s many server innovations, they provide customers with highly efficient, record-performing server solutions to address the diverse workloads and rapidly evolving needs of today’s data centres.”
Shaun Walsh, Senior Vice President Marketing, Emulex
“Emulex and Fujitsu have developed a new model for network I/O with the modular design of the Fujitsu PRIMERGY DynamicLoM architecture based on the Emulex EngineTM (XE)100 series Ethernet controller. This solution delivers application acceleration with RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE), scales new workloads with up to a 4x boost in small packet performance, lowers operational cost with hardware offloads and provides the right I/O roadmap for next generation servers using the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v3 family.”
Pricing and availability
The new generation of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY systems will be available directly from Fujitsu and via distribution partners starting from the end of September 2014. New models include the PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 rack server, the PRIMERGY BX2560 M1 server blade and the CX400 M1 scale-out infrastructure with CX2550 M1 and CX2570 M1 server nodes. Prices vary by region, model and configuration.
Notes to editors
Highlights of the new generation of PRIMERGY include:
- More versatile performance to overcome data growth
- Boosted application performance by up to 56 percent6 featuring the new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family as well as DDR4 memory technology.
- Ability to individually adapt current server networks and flexibility to meet future requirements with new DynamicLoM technology.
- Extended Cool-safe® Advanced Thermal Design as part of a uniform data centre concept for selected PRIMERGY servers, ETERNUS storage systems and network switches which support ambient data centre temperatures of up to 40°C, enabling customers to save energy and cooling costs.
- Reduced costs via Fujitsu’s energy management solution that identifies energy inefficient systems of heterogeneous IT infrastructures and provides strategies and action plans to improve energy efficiency.
- Foundation for trust and security to meet increased demand for IT resource availability
- Optimised data centre operations that significantly reduce downtime costs and increase process quality by automating contingency processes.
- Reduced time required to implement new IT projects while simultaneously improving service level agreements, with Fujitsu’s PAN Manager offering now also supported by selected PRIMERGY RX and CX systems.
- Free of charge provisioning of BIOS versions, firmware and software updates. Fujitsu continues not to charge customers to provide access to upgrades that simplify system management, therefore reducing the impact on IT resources.
- Innovations which simplify the management, therefore freeing up IT resources
- -ServerView Embedded Lifecycle Management consolidates and enhances management functionalities that are directly available (‘embedded‘) within the server for simplified and highly integrated management processes.
- ServerView Agentless Service separates the various networks for productive and management data for enhanced data security.
- ServerView System Monitor is particularly designed for easy and low-overhead management of small and distributed server installations.
- 20 years of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY Systems:
The Fujitsu x86-server portfolio has been helping to shape the ICT industry for 20 years. During that time, Fujitsu has concentrated on using its technology to solve customer technology issues. Thanks to continuous adaptation to industry trends and a continually evolving ICT landscape, Fujitsu has developed new approaches to cloud computing, data analytics and high performance computing. Some milestones:
- In 1994, Fujitsu developed its first x86-based industry-standard PRIMERGY servers.
- In 1998, Fujitsu introduced the previously unprecedented ability for customers to scale up in x86 environments, with the introduction of the first 8-way server, the PRIMERGY N800/K800.
- The first PRIMERGY blade servers in 2002, the PRIMERGY BX300 line, presented customers with new horizons in terms of flexibility, scalability and data centre economics.
- In 2006, Fujitsu released the PRIMERGY BX630, the first scalable octo-socket server blade, based on an Advanced Blade Ecosystem.
- Since 2008, with the introduction of PRIMERGY ServerView Virtual I/O Manager software, Fujitsu has enabled customers to dramatically reduce networking costs and simplify the management of servers in network environments while still enjoying the highest flexibility in tems of operation.
- In 2009, Fujitsu introduced a massive scale-out computing platform delivering extreme-performance and highly energy efficient server architecture, with the introduction of the revolutionary PRIMERGY CX server line.
- In 2012, Fujitsu was the first vendor to offer a ‘Cluster-in-a-box’ solution. Recently extended, this solution offers mid-sized organizations and branch offices the ability to protect their important data and business-critical services with only a minimal investment of money, administration efforts and time.
- For terms and conditions, please see: http://www.fujitsu.com/20years-primergy
- Based on Fujitsu shipments from the 2013 calendar year, calculated on the basis of 250 working days each made up of 8 hours.
- PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 achieved 16,000 SD benchmark users on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark. The server was configured with Intel Xeon processor E5-2699 v3, 2 processors / 36 cores / 72 threads, Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, and the SAP enhancement package 5 for the SAP ERP 6.0 application. The SAP certification number was not available at press time. Benchmark comparisons stated above reflect results published as of September 08, 2014. SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
- The VMmark result of 26.48@22 tiles was achieved by two Fujitsu PRIMERGY Server RX2540 M1, each with 512 GB of memory, using Intel® Xeon® E5-2699 v3 processors. . Full test results including system specification, further details and current results.The comparison reflects the status on September 8, 2014. For information about VMmark and the rules regarding its usage visit: http://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark. VMware and VMmark are trademarks or registered trademarks of VMware, Inc. VMware® VMmark™ is a product of VMware, Inc.
- Comparison based on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark: PRIMERGY RX300 S8 featuring Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2697 v2, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, achieved 10,240 benchmark users (Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, SAP enhancement package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0, certification 2013024) while the PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 featuring Intel Xeon processor E5-2699 v3, 2 processors / 36 cores / 72 threads, achieved 16,000 benchmark users4.
Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology (ICT) company offering a full range of technology products, solutions and services. Approximately 162,000 Fujitsu people support customers in more than 100 countries. We use our experience and the power of ICT to shape the future of society with our customers. Fujitsu Limited (TSE: 6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.8 trillion yen (US$46 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014. For more information, please see: http://www.fujitsu.com
About Fujitsu UK & Ireland
Fujitsu UK & Ireland is a leading IT systems, services and products company employing 12,000 people with an annual revenue of £1.67 billion. Additionally, Fujitsu’s other operations in the UK bring its total employee numbers to over 14,000 and its total revenues to £1.8 billion. Its business is in enabling its customers to realise their objectives by exploiting information technology through its integrated product and service portfolio. This includes consulting, applications, systems integration, managed services and product for customers in the private and public sectors including retail, financial services, telecoms, government, defence and consumer sectors. For more information, please see: http://uk.fujitsu.com
Date: 10 September, 2014