Skip to main content

Fujitsu

Global

  1. Home >
  2. About >
  3. Environment >
  4. Environmental Burden Reduction by Green ICT >
  5. Role of ICT in climate change issues

Role of ICT in climate change issues

Contribution to reducing the environmental burden from customers and society
Role of ICT in climate change issues
Fujitsu's approach Green Policy Innovation

Effects of global warming

The projections of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report indicate that average world temperatures will likely rise by between 1.1 and 6.4 Celsius in the 21st century. Many scientists are warning that a rise in average world temperatures by more than 2C will have an adverse impact on society, the global economy, and life on earth as a whole. The realization of a low-carbon society is one of our biggest challenges for the 21st century, and speedy implementation of green measures is required.

Goal of halving world wide greenhouse gas emissions by 2050

International debate regarding the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions has been intensifying such as the 15th United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP15). In addition, at the Group of Eight Summit, world leaders agreed on a shared international goal of "halving greenhouse gas emissions by 2050."

However, when we take global economic growth by 2050 into consideration, halving current greenhouse gas emission levels will not be enough. We will need to drastically reduce emissions levels.

To do this as well as work to achieve improvements, we must bring about technological innovation. Moreover, we must also bring about innovation in various areas, such as work styles and lifestyles throughout society as a whole. Since ICT will be indispensable to achieving such innovations, its utilization will become increasingly important.

Role of ICT companies

According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), global greenhouse gas emissions had increased by about 40 percent between 1990 and 2007. Emissions have been increasing significantly not only in developed nations but also in newly industrialized nations, such as China and India. To reduce worldwide greenhouse gas emissions, it will be important to promote, without delay, the widespread use of products and services that use advanced environmental technologies, such as energy-saving technologies, to both developed and developing nations.

At the same time, the ICT sector is said to account for 2 percent of the world total of CO2 emissions. However, the ICT sector has potential to make a huge contribution to achieving reductions in the remaining 98 percent of these emissions. As an ICT entity, the Fujitsu Group believes that it has an important role to play in assisting society as a whole in reducing its environmental footprint through promoting advanced green ICT solutions on a global scale as well as to work on reducing its own environmental footprint.

Fujitsu's approach Green Policy Innovation