Windows Server® Downgrade
Downgrade and down-edition rights are an end-user right that Microsoft offers to customers for certain Windows Server OEM or ROK products which meet the technical requirements for a Windows Server software downgrade. Downgrade rights are documented in the Microsoft Software License Terms that customers accept upon first running Windows Server software. Thanks to downgrade rights, end users who have acquired a later version of the software (such as Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) can use an earlier version of the software (such as Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) until they are ready to migrate to a later version technology.
If a product includes downgrade rights, the license terms for that product will indicate which earlier versions of the software may be used.
Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows Server software
To downgrade Fujitsu Windows Server OEM or ROK software customers must:
- Purchase a Fujitsu Server PRIMERGY system licensed with Fujitsu Windows Server OEM or ROK software.
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
- Perform the downgrade or down-edition process to the eligible downgrade/down-edition product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM, ROK, retail or Volume Licensing Server product.
To perform a downgrade to an earlier version of Windows Server software, end users must follow these steps:
- Use the Windows Server media and a corresponding product key for the version of Windows Server that is eligible for downgrade.
- The media/key should come from a previously licensed version.
- The media and key used to perform the downgrade must be from the same channel (example: retail, OEM, ROK, or VL).
- End users can use the following media types for their downgrade:
- Retail (full packaged product)
- System builder media
- Fujitsu OEM or ROK media
- VL software media in accordance with the Microsoft OEM Volume Licensing License Terms.
- Install the downgrade-eligible version of Windows Server media.
The following OEM and ROK versions of Windows Server software are eligible for downgrade and down-edition.