High-capacity, high-speed open-format technology
LTO Ultrium is a high-volume, high-speed tape format based on LTO (Linear Tape-Open) technology co-developed by Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM and Quantum.
ETERNUS LT series employs the LTO Ultrium format, and shares its future road map of twelve generations of enhancement in both transfer rates and storage capacity. This ensures ETERNUS LT series tape library investment will keep pace with future data growth.
The currently published LTO Ultrium technology roadmap shows enhancement up to Ultrium 12 (the twelve generation). Ultrium 12 will provide a maximum capacity of 480TB(compressed). LTO Ultrium technology enables ETERNUS LT series to keep on protecting important corporate assets long into the future, while ensuring compatibility with higher-specification devices.
- Note1:Transfer rate with full height drive.
- Note:Compressed capacity for generation 5 assumes 2:1 compression. Compressed capacities for generations 6-12 assume 2.5:1 compression (achieved with larger compression history buffer).
SOURCE: LTO program. LTO Ultrium roadmap is subject to change without notice and represents goals and objectives only. Linear Tape-Open, LTO, LTO logo, Ultrium, and the Ultrium logo are registered trademarks of Hewlett Packard Enterprise, IBM and Quantum in the US and other countries.
LTO Ultrium format
- As a 1/2 inch tape cartridge, LTO Ultrium tape cartridges provide the highest in storage density.
- LTO Ultirum 8 divides a 1/2-inch cartridge tape into four data bands, records data of 1,664 tracks using 32 heads in one data band, and records a total of 6,656 tracks of data. (Related Information: LTO Ultrium Format)
- All data written with the Ultrium tape drive is compatible with Ultrium tape drives from other vendors.
High Performance - Ultrium tape drive
- Ultrium 5 tape drive provides a data transfer rate of 280MB/sec (2:1 compressed)
- Ultrium 6 tape drive provides a data transfer rate of 400MB/sec (2.5:1 compressed)
- Ultrium 7 tape drive provides a data transfer rate of 750MB/sec (2.5:1 compressed)
- Ultrium 8 tape drive provides a data transfer rate of 900MB/sec (with full height drive, 2.5:1 compressed)
High Capacity - Ultrium tape cartridge
- One Ultrium 5 tape cartridge can store 3TB data (compressed) in 1,280 tracks.
- One Ultrium 6 tape cartridge can store 6.25TB data (compressed) in 2,176 tracks.
- One Ultrium 7 tape cartridge can store 15TB data (compressed) in 3,584 tracks.
- One Ultrium 8 tape cartridge can store 30TB data (compressed) in 6,656 taraks.
- A non-contacting memory chip (EEPROM), called LTO-CM is embedded in the LTO Ultrium tape cartridge.(Reated information: LTO-CM (Cartridge Memory))
- Efficient data transfer - Adaptive Tape Speed (ATS) or Speed matching
- Automatic error correction - Error Correcting Code (ECC)
- Ultrium 3 supports WORM (Write Once Read Manay)
- Ultrium 4 supports data encryption
- Ultrium 5 provides partitioning function
|Supported Tape Libraries||ETERNUS LT20 S2/LT20
ETERNUS LT40 S2/LT40
ETERNUS LT60 S2/LT60
ETERNUS LT260, LT250
ETERNUS LT270 S2/LT270
- Note:Products/features/support content introduced on this page, are subject to change without notice.