Judging Support System Co-development with FIG
What is Judging Support System(JSS)?
4 steps to use JSS
JSS senses gymnasts' movements through the following four steps. Movements such as joint angles are captured and analyzed as numerical data, and displayed in the same manner that judges need to see, based on the same standards.
Capturing 3D Data
Capture 3D data of gymnasts' performance without markers
AI analyses the position of athletes joints and tracks the movement of the human body
AI recognizes the performed elements and checks them with the element dictionary(database)
Display the performance in 360 degrees to check the angles and distances of each element
Display the D-score as well as the name of performed elements, symbol marks, etc.
3 Usage Scenarios
Apart from supporting judges, JSS can also be used in training to improve performance and entertainment for spectators.
Official Use of Judging Support System at FIG Competitions
49th FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Championships Stuttgart 2019
Multi-angle view function was used on the Pommel Horse, Still Rings, men‘s Vault, and women’s Vault.
World Championships in 2019
2020 Friendship and Solidarity Competition in Tokyo
Element recognition function for vault was used.
FIG announces Friendship and Solidarity Competition in Tokyo on 8 November
50th FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Championships Kitakyushu 2021
JSS was officially used for 5 apparatus (Pommel Horse, Still Rings, Men's Vault, Women's Vault, and Balance Beam) in the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships 2021 in Kitakyushu (JPN). We tested JSS on High Bar and Uneven Bars in the competition.
Fujitsu's Judging Support System was used at World Championships Kitakyushu 2021
51st FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Championships Liverpool 2022
Fujitsu officially provided JSS for the following seven apparatus in the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships 2022 in Liverpool (GBR). -Pommel Horse, Rings, Horizontal Bar, Men's Vault, Women's Vault, Balance Beam, and Uneven Bars.
The remaining three apparatus, Parallel bars, Men's Floor, and Women's Floor, were tested at the event, and all ten apparatus will be completed by the Artistic Gymnastics World Championships 2023 in Antwerp (BEL).
Fujitsu Infinity award presented to Canada, Great Britain
Behind the scenes in Liverpool with Fujitsu
Future Usage of JSS for Gymnastics Fans!
For Gymnastics Fans and TV broadcasters
Here are some tips to make it more fun in the future:
- Learn gymnastics elements with JSS animation
- Check the elements with a multi-angle view after the performance to see the details
- Displaying the images for detailed angles such as leg openings with numeric data
- In case of difficulty in watching performances at the competition site, check with JSS instead
- Utilize JSS angle and distance display functions for broadcasting
- Replay the performed elements on TV to check the details
Show your performance to gymnastics fans in a new way:
- Engage and captivate your audience with the hybrid of actual and digital performances using JSS
- Your fans will understand the greatness and complexity of your performance through JSS
JSS brings new experiences to gymnastics fans, and it will contribute to increasing the number of them
A proposal for future usage of JSS for app
Our 3 Goals for the Further Development of the Gymnastics
- Global expansion of JSS to reinforce the fairness of judging
- Improving athletic performance and providing greater safety using IT in training
- Using JSS data for TV broadcasting or sports presentations at the venue