Our research focus is on advanced technologies related to advanced photonic transmission systems, network architecture and management.
Photonics Transmission System and Design
Optical networks play an essential role in scaling network capacity to dramatically reduce unit of bandwidth cost—due to impressive advancements in Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) transmission technology. Today, ROADM (Reconfigurable Optical Add-Drop Multiplexer) systems are being deployed with rates of 100 Gbps, 80 or more wavelengths per fiber, and connections with more than 1,000 km reach. These systems have been enabled by merging technologies, such as, wavelength-selective switches in ROADM systems and coherent detection using real-time digital signal processing—to overcome optical impairments for 100 Gbps transmission.
The main goal of our system design research is to identify efficient modulation formats for 400 Gbps and higher, characterize the penalties due to nonlinear effects and other impairments for various transmission distances. In addition, we’re also developing new optical amplification and regeneration technologies to extend the reach.
Network Architecture and Management
Telecom service providers are transforming to a new software-centric network architecture leveraging the confluence of network function virtualization (NFV), software defined network (SDN), and cloud technology. These technologies enable service providers to achieve operational automation for rapid delivery of end-to-end network services.
- October 9, 2018
- Fujitsu Develops Technology to Simplify Design and Operation of Hybrid and Multi-Cloud Network Infrastructure (March 2017)
- October 9, 2018
- Fujitsu Develops Technology to Accurately Estimate Optical Network Transmission Performance (March 2017)
- Octobe 11, 2017
- Fujitsu Laboratories of America Announces Development of a Low Noise Phase Sensitive Amplifier (March 2017)
- 1. I. Kim, X. Wang, O. Vassilieva, P. Palacharla, T. Ikeuchi, “SNR-availability based optical network provisioning”, OSA/IEEE Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Feb 2020
- 2. I. Kim, N. Wang, O. Vassilieva, T. Ikeuchi, et al., “Low-crosstalk few-mode EDFAs using retro-reflection for single-mode fiber trunk lines and networks”, Editor’s Pick award for articles with excellent scientific quality, Optics Express, Vol. 27, No. 24, pp. 35962- 35970, Nov. 2019
- 3. Y. Akasaka, G. Vedala, T. Ikeuchi, R. Hui, “Pilot aided compensation of relative phase noise in Raman amplified coherent transmission system with forward pumping”, Optical Fiber Communications Conference (OFC) 2019
- 4. M. Bouda et al., "Demonstration of Continuous Improvement in Open Optical Network Design by QoT Prediction using Machine Learning," Optical Fiber Communications Conference (OFC) 2019
- 5. N. Wang, X. Wang, P. Palacharla, T. Ikeuchi, W. Xie, “Mobility-aware 5G midhaul network design for optimizing edge computing resources”, Optical Fiber Communications Conference (OFC) 2019
- 6. Q. Zhang, X. Liang, Y. Zhu, X. Wang, P. Palacharla, V. Sarin, T. Ikeuchi, “Vertex-centric distributed computation for mapping virtual networks across domains”, IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium (NOMS) 2018
- 7. N. Wang, X. Wang, P. Palacharla, T. Ikeuchi, “Cooperative autonomous driving for traffic congestion avoidance through vehicle-to-vehicle communications, IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference, 2017
- 8. Olga Vassilieva, Tomohiro Yamauchi, Shoichiro Oda, Inwoong Kim, Takeshi Hoshida, Yasuhiko Aoki, Jens C. Rasmussen and Motoyoshi Sekiya, “Flexible grid network optimization for maximum spectral efficiency and reach”, European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC) 2015
- 9. Y. Akasaka, J. -Y. Yang, M. Sekiya, T. Ikeuchi, Y. Cao, A. Almaiman, M. Ziyadi, A. Mohajerin-Ariaei, P. Liao, A. E. Willner, S. Takasaka, R. Sugizaki, “Experimental demonstration of Raman-assisted phase sensitive amplifier with negligible gain/power fluctuation”, European Conference on Optical Communications (ECOC) 2015
- 10. Q. Zhang, X. Wang, I. Kim, P. Palacharla, T. Ikeuchi, “Vertex-Centric Computation of Service Function Chains in Multi-domain Networks”, Best Paper Award, IEEE Network Softwarization (NetSoft) 2016
- 11. X. Wang, C. Chen, P. Palacharla, M. Sekiya, S. Smolka, N. Foster, “SPN OS: Managing Network Services with Virtual Network Objects”, 2015 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Network (NFV-SDN)
- 12. Q. Zhang, X. Wang, I. Kim, P. Palacharla, T. Ikeuchi, “Service function chaining in multi-domain networks”, Optical Fiber Communications Conference (OFC) 2016
- 13. X. Wang, Q. Zhang, I. Kim, P. Palacharla, M. Sekiya, “Virtual Network Provisioning over Distance-Adaptive Flexible-Grid Optical Networks”, Invited Paper, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), Vol. 7, Iss. 2, 2015
- 14. I. Kim, P. Palacharla, X. Wang, Q. Zhang, D. Bihon, M. Feuer, S. Woodward, “Regenerator Pre-deployment in CN-ROADM Networks with Shared Mesh Restoration”, Invited Paper, Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), Oct 2013