Windows 10 Upgrade Step-by-Step User Guide
Windows® 10 provides upgrade paths from Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update (KB2919355) or newer updates. Windows 7 (original release), Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 (original release) must first be updated to Windows 7 SP1 or Window 8.1 Update to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
Important Notes (Please read before proceeding with the Windows 10 upgrade):
- Non-Supported Windows 10 options:
- If you plan to keep any applications or Windows settings, cross-language installations are not supported.
- In order to do cross architecture updates from 32-bit to 64-bit, you will need to do a clean wipe and install.
- Data and Operating System Backup:
- It is always recommended to back up your personal files before you start the Windows 10 upgrade / clean installation. We would advise you to make a copy of the recovery DVDs (Recovery Boot Disc, Factory Image Disc and Application Disc) using the Fujitsu MyRecovery application (also known as System Restore and Recovery). Please ensure that you perform this important step as Fujitsu is not liable for any loss of customer data.
- Download Drivers and Utilities:
- Drivers for Windows 10 are installed by Windows Update.
- To ensure a smooth installation procedure, we highly recommend that you visit the Fujitsu Support Page for the latest Windows 10 drivers, utilities, firmware, application and documentation. Please save them to an external media, such as a portable hard disk drive (HDD), to prepare for your Windows 10 update/clean installation.
- List of systems tested for upgrade to Windows 10
- Fujitsu has tested the following systems for upgrading to Windows 10. Please follow the instructions in this Step-by-Step installation guide for upgrading these systems to Windows 10.
- If your system is not listed below, Windows 10 will not be supported on the model due to the lack of required drivers/firmware by key component suppliers. If customers choose to install Windows 10 on their own, there is no guarantee that all features will be supported.
- Windows 7 (original release), Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 (original release) must first be updated to Windows 7 SP1 or Window 8.1 Update to be able to upgrade to Windows 10.
|Windows 7 LIFEBOOK Series||
|Windows 7 STYLISTIC Series||
|Windows 8 LIFEBOOK Series||
|Windows 8 STYLISTIC Series||
|Windows 8.1 LIFEBOOK Series||
|Windows 8.1 STYLISTIC Series||
- Login to your computer with system administrator permissions
Please sign in to your computer using an account with system administrator permissions.
- Connect to the internet
Please connect your computer to the internet before commencing the upgrade.
- Connect your computer to an AC Power source
It is important to connect the AC adapter to your system during the upgrade.
- Ensure your Windows PC has the latest Windows updates patches
We recommend you to apply all important Windows updates via the "Windows Update" before proceeding with the upgrade.
- Back up hard disk data
We recommend you perform a full backup of your data in case any issues arise during the upgrade process. Please back up all your important files by saving them to a safe location before the upgrade.
Following are a few suggestions on how to back up your critical data safely:
- Copy the important data into a network folder
- Burn the data into a CD or DVD
- Back up to an external storage (such as a hard drive or USB thumb drive)
- Make a copy of the Windows Recovery Media
We recommend that you make a copy of the System Recovery DVDs before performing any upgrade action. Please ensure that you have a copy of the Recovery Boot Disc, Factory Image Disc and Application Disc.
You may use the Recovery Media Set in case you want to revert the system back to Windows 8 or Windows 7. However, all your data will be lost after the reversal process.
- Clear Security Passwords
We recommend that you clear the following security feature passwords before the update:
- BIOS Setup Passwords (Master / User)
- BIOS Hard Disk Passwords (Master / User)
- Security Panel Passwords (Supervisor / User)
- If necessary, please back up your OmniPass profile. Fujitsu is not liable for any data loss in the upgrade process.
- Download Windows 10 Drivers, Utilities, Firmware, Applications and Documentation from Fujitsu Support Site
Ensure that you have signed in to your computer using an account with system administrator permissions.
- Software Utility and Drivers Un-installation Procedure
Referring to your hardware configuration, please uninstall the following applications, drivers, and utilities before you upgrade to Windows 10:
- Wireless Display
- Auto Rotation Utility
- Fujitsu System Manager
- Fujtisu Tablet Button driver
- McAfee Internet Security
Using Windows Update
- Get the Upgrade through Windows Update and accept EULA. Experiences differ based on your Windows Update settings:
- For "Install updates automatically:"
- Go to Windows Update, a screen will appear then Click “Get started”.
- For "Never check for updates."
- Go to Windows Update and check for updates manually. Once you've done this, a screen will appear then click "Get started".
- By clicking “Get Started”, Windows will begin downloading and installing updates.
- For "Install updates automatically:"
- Click "Accept" for the end-user licensing agreement (EULA). Clicking "Decline" prompts an exit of the upgrade.
- Note: If you decline and accept later, you will need to re-download the updates, and to accept the EULA.
- Start or Schedule the Upgrade
Note: If an error message is displayed, please follow the instructions on the screen.
When the upgrade is ready to install, you can select one of the two options:
- a) "Start the upgrade now" to upgrade immediately.
- b) "Schedule it for later" to schedule the upgrade for a different time. You can enter and save the date and time for the upgrade. One hour before the scheduled time, the following message will prompt you to reschedule or start the upgrade.
- Start the Upgrade (by selecting "Start upgrade now."
The System will restart and the upgrade will begin to install.
- Completing Setup
This step automatically begins once the installation is completed.
Restart will occur and the system will initiate its first boot.
- The Sign-in screen will display, depending on the type of account.
- Click "Next" to use the new Windows 10 default apps or "Let me choose my default apps" to select apps as your new defaults, then click "Next".
- Logon to Windows and the setup will continue. If you previously entered the password incorrectly, a screen will appear asking you to re-enter it.
- Upgrade process is completed.
For a Local account with no password, Microsoft® Account, Domain and Azure Active Directory (AAD) accounts, you will see the logon screen to enter your credentials.
For a Local account that already provided a password, you will arrive at the Desktop.
Please follow the instructions in Section "Post-Upgrade" steps to install the latest updates.
If you reserved your free upgrade to Windows 10
- You'll get the following notification on your desktop when Windows 10 is ready to install:
- Your copy of Windows 10 is ready to install! Click here to get started now, or go to Windows Update when you're ready"
- If you click on the notification, you can start the installation by selecting "Yes, let's get started!", "Accept" the EULA, then "Start upgrade now." To schedule the upgrade for a time that is convenient to you, select "Schedule it for later."
- When you click "Upgrade", the Windows 10 download will automatically begin.
- When the download is completed, you can start the actual upgrade.
- The next upgrade steps are the same as those described in starting with step 2 (Accept the EULA).
If you want to do a Clean Install
Clean Installation Steps
- Boot the system with the Windows 10 installation disc. (Installation via USB drive is another alternative. However, Disc Installation is highly recommended.)
- Enter your language and preference and click "Next" to continue.
- Select "Install now."
- Enter the product key in the text box, and then click "Next."
- Read and accept the Microsoft Software License Terms. Click "I accept the license terms"(required to use Windows) and then click "Next."
- Click "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)."
(Note: All user data will be deleted. Please ensure you have the corresponding backups.)
- Delete all partitions, select the unallocated space and click "Next."
- The Windows 10 clean installation will begin. Please wait for the installation to finish and your system to restart (this may take a few minutes).
- If you use a wireless network, connect to your access point.
- Click "Use Express settings" to automatically configure your Windows 10 settings.
(Note: This step is optional; if you prefer to use your own settings, click "Customize settings" instead.)
- If you are running a Pro version of Windows 10, a "Who owns this PC?" page will appear.
Select "My organization" or "I do", click "Next" and follow the instructions.
- If you select "My organization", it will take you to a "Choose how you'll connect" page for ways to connect Windows to your organization.
- If you select "I do", it will take you to the Microsoft Account page to sign-in.
- If you have a Microsoft account, enter your account name and password, and then click "Sign in". If you want to create a new Microsoft account, click "Create one!" If you use a PIN in place of Password, click "PIN me!" and follow the instructions.
- Please click "Skip this step" if it is unnecessary.
- Otherwise, click "Next" to create a Local account.
- You will set User name (and password if needed) for your PC.
- Click "Next" twice.
- Installing your apps.
- Your setup is now complete. Please wait for Windows to start up.
- Please follow the instructions in Section "Post-Upgrade" steps to install the latest updates.
After upgrading your PC to Windows 10, Fujitsu recommends that you install a few other updates to maximize the benefits of Windows 10.
- Installation of the latest Windows Updates from Microsoft
- Installation of the drivers and utilities downloaded from the Fujitsu Support Site
** NOTE: For the updated Fujitsu MyRecovery (also known as Fujitsu System Restore and Recovery), the Recovery Disc burning feature will be limited to ONE time only. Please handle your Recovery Disc with care and keep it safe.
You may refer to Fujitsu Support Page for any update patches. Please download and apply the update patches whenever they are available.
After you have completed the installation of all drivers, utilities and applications, you may visit Microsoft Windows 10 pages to learn more.