Download Full Case Study PDF
Transport for Wales Rail Services
Increased revenue through improved devices
Transport for Wales was set-up to ‘Keep Wales Moving’ by delivering expert advice, customer-focused services and targeted investment in modern transport infrastructure. Transport for Wales Rail Services (TfWRS) is a Welsh train operating company operated by Keolis/ Amey Wales Cymru Limited, which commenced operating the Wales & Borders franchise in October 2018.
Transport for Wales Rail Services (TfWRS) inherited the innovative FUJITSU STARmobile solution when it was awarded the franchise in 2018. However, the STARmobile fleet needed an update due to outdated and worn-out consumer mobile phones. TfWRS wanted a more reliable, rugged manageable device that would better meet the needs of conductors and passengers.
Fujitsu migrated TfWRS to an enhanced version of FUJITSU STARmobile on-train ticketing application, running on 279 new Zebra TC56 handsets, which increased availability and sales revenue, improved battery life, better durability in the field, simpler management and greater reliability.
- Increased revenue collection and improved passenger experience
- Device utilisation increased from 25% to 80% due to ease of use
- New functionality enabled, including smartcard reading and loading, and Scan to Pair
- Number of devices has reduced by a third, lowering costs and maintenance overheads
- Battery life increased by 50% and can be swapped out when needed