Gallium-nitride high electron-mobility transistors (GaN HEMT)
A type of transistor with a wide band gap (semiconductors with broad energy bands where electrons cannot reside in the semiconductor's crystalline structure). Tolerates higher voltages than conventional silicon and gallium arsenide (GaAs) semiconductors without breaking down.
 High electron mobility transistor (HEMT)
A field-effect transistor that takes advantage of operation of the electron layer at the boundary between different semiconductor materials that is relatively rapid compared to that within conventional semiconductors. Invented in 1979 by Dr. Takashi Mimura (currently a Fellow at Fujitsu Laboratories), this technology is currently widely used in various IT applications, including satellite transceivers, mobile phones, GPS-based navigation systems, and broadband wireless networking systems.
 On-state current
The drain current flowing through a transistor in the on state. When on-state current is low (i.e. high on-state resistance) on-loss rises, resulting in increased power loss.
 Green Policy Innovation
A global initiative by Fujitsu since November 2007 to help its customers reduce their environmental burden footprint, based on "of IT, for IT".
 On-state loss
Power loss incurred by a transistor when on, caused by resistance when a transistor is on (on-state resistance).
 Switching loss
Power loss incurred by a transistor when switching from an on state to an off state. Power loss increases when switching speed is slow.
Maximum voltage that can be applied across the gate and drain electrodes in a transistor. Applying a voltage in excess of this level will destroy the transistor.
 Reduce data center power consumption by 12%, which could be expected to reduce Japan's total CO2 emissions by 330,000 tons
If GaN HEMTs were used for transistors in power supplies at data centers in Japan, power consumption by servers would be reduced by 8%, and power consumption for air conditioning would be reduced by 4%, resulting in a total reduction of consumed power by 12%. As a whole, data centers in Japan collectively consume 7.72 billion kWh (source: report issued by Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications in April 2008, "Study Group on ICT Policy for Addressing Global Warming Report") and a 12% reduction of that figure - converted to CO2 emissions - is 330,000 tons.
Founded in 1968 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited, Fujitsu Laboratories Limited is one of the premier research centers in the world. With a global network of laboratories in Japan, China, the United States and Europe, the organization conducts a wide range of basic and applied research in the areas of Multimedia, Personal Systems, Networks, Peripherals, Advanced Materials and Electronic Devices. For more information, please see:http://jp.fujitsu.com/group/labs/en/
Press ContactsPublic and Investor Relations Division
Technical ContactsAdvanced Devices Lab.
Company:Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd.
Company and organization names referenced herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. Information provided in this press release is accurate at time of issue and is subject to change without advance notice.
Date: 24 June, 2009
City: Kawasaki, Japan
Company: Fujitsu Laboratories Ltd., , , , ,
Share this page