NOTE: this is an archived page and the content is likely to be out of date.
New Optical Networks
New Optical Networks
Network upgrades and greenfield deployments happen for clearly understood reasons, such as to add more capacity, boost operational efficiency, or open up revenue opportunities via new features and functionality. But other aspects of planned upgrades are impossible to predict. Networks must scale to meet capacity and functionality needs, but it may not be apparent at the outset exactly what will be needed. Traffic growth has frequently exceeded planning estimates and even recently installed systems can rapidly become exhausted.
Fujitsu offers a solution approach that reduces risk and enable adaptive network evolution that meets challenges as they arise. The New Optical Networks solution not only meets known bandwidth needs, it also provides the assurance that capacity can be added at any time, in-service, to address unexpected demands.
New Optical Network Solution Benefits
- Modular, pay-as-you-grow expansion
- Software control and management
- Economical and resource-efficient
- Simplified installation
Based on the Modular, Flexible 1FINITY Platform and Virtuora Software Suite
Today’s networking platforms are complex and tend to be tightly coupled and vertically integrated. Fujitsu open architecture has physically separated these complex components and logically re-aggregated them with intelligent software. The Fujitsu New Optical Networks solution is based on the combined power of the 1FINITY™ hardware platform and the Virtuora* software suite.
The modular, flexible nature of Fujitsu 1FINITY blades promotes pay-as-you-grow architecture and provides ample capacity for both current and future demands. The following hardware can be combined in various configurations depending on the network requirements:
- The 1FINITY L100 and L110 Lambda blades are deployed to form CD ROADM nodes that can be expanded incrementally up to four ROADM degrees and 128 add/drops.
- The 1FINITY L200 Inline Amplifier blade enables the distance between ROADM nodes to be increased via 35 dB spans.
- The 1FINITY T100. T200, T300, and T310 Transport blades are transponder/muxponders with different client and line interfaces that can be configured in two ways (for DP-QPSK or DP-16QAM network modulation), depending on the capacity (100G or 200G) and reach requirements.
Built on an open-source foundation, the Virtuora software suite provides a framework for a collection of applications and interfaces that enables the control and management of the virtual network.
- The Virtuora Network Controller (NC) provides SDN/NFV-based network management and service delivery. Virtuora NC interacts directly with network devices through southbound interfaces using standards-based protocols, while operators and northbound software systems interact indirectly with the network through Virtuora NC using REST APIs.
- The Virtuora Network Management suite provides element, fault and performance management, as well as network analytics, for optimal service delivery and network performance.
- The Virtuora WDM Control suite provides resource discovery, service activation and path computation applications for automation and control of Layer 1 WDM services.
Solution & Technology Briefs