Skip to main content



Archived content

NOTE: this is an archived page and the content is likely to be out of date.

Fujitsu and AU Optronics to Collaborate in Liquid Crystal Displays

Fujitsu Limited,Fujitsu Display Technologies Corporation

Tokyo, January 28, 2003

Fujitsu Limited and Fujitsu Display Technologies Corporation today announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding to undertake a wide-ranging collaboration in the field of liquid crystal displays (LCDs) with AU Optronics Corporation of Taiwan. As part of the collaboration, AU Optronics will take a 20% equity share in Fujitsu Display Technologies, currently a wholly owned subsidiary that develops, manufactures and markets LCDs, with the remaining 80% to be held by Fujitsu Limited.

The collaboration seeks to reap the benefits of combining Fujitsu Display Technologies' accumulated expertise in cutting-edge LCD technology and design with AU Optronics' prowess in manufacturing. In addition to broad-based technological collaboration, extending from production technology to product design, the two companies will make effective use of their combined manufacturing capabilities to generate cost efficiencies and expand their business. The companies are currently discussing details of the collaboration and expect to conclude a definitive agreement in March.

The collaboration with AU Optronics, the third-largest thin film transistor LCD manufacturer in the world, is also expected to accelerate the diffusion of Fujitsu's advanced MVA (*1) technology and its acceptance as an industry standard.

Going forward, as an independently operated Fujitsu group company specializing in LCDs, Fujitsu Display Technologies will leverage its expertise in advanced display technologies and design to further develop its solutions business, as well as strengthen its capabilities as a major supplier of LCDs both inside and outside the Fujitsu Group.

  • [1] MVA: Multi-domain Vertical Alignment

    A Fujitsu-developed technology achieves wide-angle view, high contrast, quick display responsiveness, and superior image quality. Uses a rubbing-free liquid-crystal infusion technique for higher reliability and higher productivity in manufacturing.

About AU Optronics

AU Optronics Corp., headquartered at Hsinchu, Science-Based Industrial Park, Taiwan, is a leading manufacturer of TFT-LCD modules both in Taiwan and in the world. The company offers a broad range of TFT-LCD products and related services to OEM manufacturers and brand companies.

In September 2001, AU Optronics was formed through the merger of Acer Display Technologies Inc. and Unipac Optoelectronics Corp. Currently AUO operates three 3.5-generation and one fourth-generation TFT- LCD fab. A fifth-generation TFT-LCD fab, currently under equipment installation, is expected to begin commercial production in the second quarter of 2003. AUO also operates four module assembly facilities, and one R&D fab specializing in low temperature poly silicon TFT and organic LED.

In addition to manufacturing and assembly operations in Taiwan, AUO has global operations in China, Japan, and the United States. The company markets its TFT-LCDs through two business units including Audio Video Displays Applications and Information Displays Applications. The Company had net sales under ROC GAAP of NT$37.6 billion (US$1.1 billion) in 2001.
For more information, please see:

About Fujitsu Display Technologies Corporation

Fujitsu Display Technologies Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu Limited, develops, manufactures and markets LCD panels. Headquartered in Kawasaki, the company was established in June 2002 as part of a reorganization of Fujitsu's LCD business.

About Fujitsu

Fujitsu is a leading provider of customer-focused IT and communications solutions for the global marketplace. Pace-setting technologies, highly reliable computing and telecommunications platforms, and a worldwide corps of systems and services experts uniquely position Fujitsu to deliver comprehensive solutions that open up infinite possibilities for its customers' success. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.6 trillion yen (US$38 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2003.
For more information, please see:

Press Contacts

Naomi Ogawa, Robert Pomeroy
Public & Investor Relations

Phone: Phone: +81-3-3215-5259 (Tokyo)
Fax: +81-3-3216-9365
Company:Fujitsu Limited

All company/product names mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders and are used for identification purpose only.

Please understand that product prices, specifications and other details are current on the day of issue of the press release, however, may change thereafter without notice.

Press Release ID: 2003-0019E
Date: 28 January, 2003
City: Tokyo
Company: Fujitsu Limited, Fujitsu Display Technologies Corporation , , , ,