An efficient sort and merge program for records, using defined criteria set by the user
Current version: V8.0
SORT is an efficient sort and merge program for sorting records for one or more input files via criteria defined by the user (SORT function) and a program for merging the records of several sorted input files into a single output file (MERGE function).
SORT provides the following main functions:
- Flexible control language with simplified notation (abbreviations, free selection between positional and keyword parameters).
- Selection of the sort procedure in line with the resources used (work and help files).
- Main memory sorting without work file(s), if allocated memory is sufficient.
- Presorting using virtual merging.
- Maximum of 99 input files.
- Simple recoding of input data.
- Full, selective and address list sort.
- Exclusion or inclusion of records when sorting using logically linkable relations.
- Retention of the input sequence for records with the same sort terms.
- 12 user exits for label checking, processing of input/output records, etc.
- Processing of POSIX files.
SORT can also be called up as a subroutine.