Why can't I use the numeric value from "Scan to Excel" conversion for Excel calculations?
In the process of OCR, any characters that are determined to be two-byte characters do not count as numbers in Excel spreadsheet. Convert them into one-byte characters by the following procedures.
Use [Multiply] from [Paste Special]
Perform the following steps:
- In any blank cell, type the value 1.
- Select the cells in which you typed 1, and then click [Copy] on the [Edit] menu.
- Select the cells with the values that you want to convert to numbers.
- On the [Edit] menu, click [Paste Special].
- Under [Operation], click [Multiply]. Under [Paste], click [Values], and then click [OK].
Use the Error Button ("Method 1" from the Microsoft website)
If the cells in which numbers are displayed as text contain an error indicator in the upper-left corner, follow these steps: (Supported by Office 2002 or later.)
- Click the cell that contains the error indicator.
- Click the error button next to the cell, and then click [Convert to Number] on the shortcut menu.
* Source: Microsoft Support, Article ID: 291047
SV600 / iX500 / iX100 / S1100i / S1100 / S1300i / S1300 / S1500 / S1500M / S510 / S500