The Global Virtual Workspace co-created by Centrica, Fujitsu and Citrix provides a new modernised platform which enables Centrica’s teams to better serve customers and resolve any issues they have
"Citrix and Fujitsu have helped us deliver a project very much aligned to Centrica’s core values: to be agile, collaborative and courageous."
Co-creating an agile, global, virtual desktop environment
Centrica’s history reaches back over 200 years, when it was originally founded as the Gas Light and Coke Company. Today, it has 29,500 global employees, including 10,000 engineers and technicians, supplying energy and services to over 23 million customers in the UK, Ireland and North America through its brands, which include British Gas, Direct Energy and Bord Gáis Energy.
Centrica’s existing virtual desktop solution was running on physical servers and struggled to cope with spikes in demand, particularly in its contact centres, during seasonal weather incidents. It wanted to migrate its desktop to the cloud for a more responsive and scalable platform.
Centrica, Fujitsu and Citrix used agile methodology to deploy a Global Virtual Workspace platform, which was available to early users in just three months and complete within five months. The seamless migration of 10,000 users then followed, with up to 18,000 users supported globally.
- Pay-as-you-go model eliminates the need for frequent upfront IT investment
- Solution scales seamlessly to meet seasonal peaks for between 15,000 and 18,000 users
- Familiar interface cuts training costs and improves user satisfaction
- Flexible payment models enable market agility
- 350 RPA bots perform 2m transactions per year, boosting productivity and reducing costs