Boosting productivity through process transformation
PlaceMakers is New Zealand’s leading and largest supplier of building materials and hardware, with over 2,100 employees and more than 300,000 customers. It has 61 stores, from Kaitaia to Invercargill, and sells over 74,000 product lines from concrete to paint and plasterboard. The company also manufactures frames and trusses from eight manufacturing plants nationwide.
PlaceMakers relied on email and telephone to manage the introduction or alteration of products and suppliers, which are core retail processes, leading to long wait times as well as frustrated employees and suppliers. The company wanted to automate three key processes to improve visibility and reduce administration.
PlaceMakers chose FUJITSU RunMyProcess to build three new applications from scratch that would automate and streamline the processes, taking data from each branch via a simple form, routing it to the appropriate approval manager and speeding-up the onboarding of new suppliers and products.
- Approval times reduced from up to two months to under seven days
- New suppliers and products reach the shelves more quickly
- Reduced administration improves employee productivity
- Real-time audit trails provide total process transparency
- Purchasing patterns across the company can be scrutinised to leverage economies of scale