Download Full Case Study PDF
Artificial Intelligence enable new shopping experiences
AEON RETAIL, headerqurater in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture in Japan, plays a central role in general merchandise store ( GMS) buisness of the AEON Group, a major distributor and retailer.
AEON RETAIL is facing a challenging business environment, from intensifying competition and labor shortages through to the operational difficulties created by COVID-19. They need to reduce labor cost and optimize their store operations by exploiting digital technologies. As part of this smart store initiative, AEON RETAIL has introduced an AI-based solution for analyzing video data from its in-store cameras.
- Analyze video data from cameras to monitor in-store congestion and avoid ‘the three Cs’ (closed spaces, crowded places and close-contact settings)
- Estimate the age of customers from video data, for example to prevent under-age purchasing of alcoholic beverages
- Identify customers who want to purchase and need assistance, notifying store staff to improve sales efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Analyze data, including customer attributes and behavior, to support the planning of optimal layouts and product lineups
- Based on a proof-of-concept solution, the system is now being deployed to 76 AEON and AEON STYLE stores across Japan
- By integrating with pedestrian-flow simulation technology, services will be further enhanced to realize improved shopping experiences in the new normal era
- AI-based store operations have created an environment where store staff can improve their customer service