While companies keep information for legal and compliance reasons, it’s also in the interest of the company itself to preserve information from the past for the future. The data has to be kept for a long time, sometimes 10 years, and sometimes 100 years. Sustaining information that long requires a suitable IT environment. Many companies just keep their backups that long.
Backup is a copy of original data; an archive is original data at a different point of its lifecycle and normally moved to cheaper storage media. An archive needs to be protected in the same way as any other original data. But such savings make most sense, if the archive itself is not more expensive than the original system and it’s backup.
Fujitsu has in its Efficient Archiving Portfolio intelligent software products for Archiving and backup, as well as Data Protection Appliances like ETERNUS CS for the use as an intelligent archiving target whilst doing automatically a backup within the same appliance. These solutions allow to archive more data in less time, guarantee data protection, and even disaster resilience; everything at the lowest possible cost. It makes sure, that companies can preserve their information in an affordable way while knowing it protected.
- Policy-based archiving:
Automates the migration, storage and retention of unstructured information
- Access to archived information anytime and anywhere
- Centralized view, discovery and retrieval of information, regardless of archive source
- Message lifecycle management
- Reduces the burden on the online storage
- Reduces the daily backup window
- Archive and Backup in one Appliance
- Efficient Data Protection with
- One point of management for all data protection
- Real ILM
- Consolidation to a cost optimized media stack with a single point of management
- Transparent technology migration