Hierarchical Storage Management System
Current Version: V11.0
is an effective, central Storage Management System which reduces the complexity of the management of data on external peripherals, which automizes the data management and optimally fits with the BS2000-platform. Add ons like the automatic data medium management (MAREN) or the automatic robot control (ROBAR) make HSMS into the scalable kernel for the Information Lifecycle Management in BS2000 environments.
HSMS supports the BS2000 data center administrator both in the management of large amounts of data, which arise in data backup and archival, and in optimizing the use of external storage devices. Equally, ordinary users can also use the HSMS functions on files assigned to their own user ID.
HSMS offers following functions:
- Centralized backup of BS2000 data: In a backup, copies of the data are created so that it can be restored in the event of data loss (e.g. disk error).
- Migration of centralized, inactive data: When a user accesses migrated data, this data is automatically recalled for processing on disk storage
- Long-term archival of data: Archival is a user function supporting the long-term storage of data in order to meet legal requirements (obligation to preserve records).
- Restoration of data: Copying of saved, migrated or archived data from an archive to the processing level.
- Shadow archives (copying of save files): HSMS can copy save files and the save versions they contain within an archive or from one archive to another.
- Online backup of databases: HSMS enables the user to run online backup database files of the BS2000 database systems UDS/SQL, SESAM/SQL and ORACLE without having to interrupt applications which access them.
- Concurrent Copy:The BS2000 Concurrent Copy function (CCOPY) offers a backup option which enables a database to be backed up in parallel with normal processing operations.
- Library backup for PLAM libraries
- Reorganization of disk storage (Pubsets)
- Archives for metadata: For secure administration of meta information in archives.
- Data compression
- HSMS is a key component in the System Managed Storage: Unattended backup strategies can be implemented for large data resources in conjunction with an archiving system.