Highly scalable Ethernet Fabric switch Brocade VDX 8770
October 1, 2013
Today organizations face an increasingly competitive marketplace and must be able to deploy new services quickly. More than ever, they need data center infrastructure that is agile, flexible, reliable, and cost effective.
Fujitsu has released the new Brocade VDX Switch, an Ethernet Fabric switch which enables the integration of LAN and SAN.
Brocade VDX 8770 switch
The Brocade VDX 8770 is a highly scalable, low-latency 1/10/40 GbE modular switch, available in both a four-slot version and an eight-slot version as seen below.
Using efficient multipathing technology the Brocade VDX 8770 can support more than 8000 ports in a single VCS fabric. This enables it to deliver a high-performance switch that can cater for even the most demanding data center networking needs.
- Increase overall network performance.
- Simplify and easily expand network architectures with Brocade VCS Fabric technology.
- Future-proof support for data center innovation, 100 GbE-ready with a high speed, broadband backplane design.
- Highly reliable design with redundant components.
- Support for up to 384,000 MAC addresses per fabric.
- 3.6-microsecond latency to insure a rapid response for latency-sensitive applications.
Brocade VDX series new features
The Brocade VDX 8770 is a high-performance Ethernet fabric switch with added features designed to focus on supporting the needs of our customers.
Manageability – consolidate fabrics
Brocade VDX series
Brocade VDX series now supports Unified Logical Chassis Management for network administrators.
"Unified Logical Chassis Management enables customers to manage all switches within the fabric as a logical switch, without dedicated management software. This ensures administration operations are easy to perform.
The function includes two kinds of Control Plane methods that handle complex calculations such as Control Paths.
- Fabric Cluster - Every devices in VCS (Virtual Cluster Switching) is operated independently as standard.
- Management Cluster - VCS can be operated virtually as a logical switch.
Compatibility with existing SAN
Brocade VDX 6730
The existing Brocade VDX 6730 FC port needs to be dedicated to a fibre channel switch. A storage system with a fibre channel interface cannot directly connect to VDX 6730. However the newly added feature enables Brocade VDX 6730 to connect directly to storage systems with a fibre channel interface. This feature increases the compatibility with traditional SAN, and utilizes existing space effectively.
Reduce load of core switch and increase cost effectiveness - L3 switching support
Brocade VDX series
Layer 3 switching features such as OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) and VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol) are newly supported in addition to layer 2 switching functions. Layer 3 features can localize communication across VLAN (Virtual LAN). This feature allows customers to reduce total costs by decreasing core switch load, and increasing link utilization.
- OSPF : Open Shortest Path First
- SLB : Server Load Balancer
- Network Redundancy Protocol
- VRRP (Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol)
- vPC (Virtual Port Channel)
- VSS (Virtual Switching System)
- vLAG (Virtual Link Aggregation Group)
- xSTP (Spanning Tree Protocol)
Deel deze pagina via