interNet Services (BS2000/OSD)
Provide functions that support the interoperability of communications partners in open TCP/IP-based networks.
Current version: V3.4
The ‘open’ communications network will mainly be shaped by the Internet Protocol Suite (IPS) of the TCP/IP world. The products FTP, TELNET, DNS Resolver, DNS Name Server, NTP, OpenSSL, OpenSSH and E-Mail of the selectable unit interNet Services (short designation: INETSERV (BS2000/OSD)) provide functions that support the interoperability of communication partners in ‘open’ TCP/IP-based networks. The products making up the interNet Services selectable unit are ported versions of corresponding Internet standard products from the ‘open’ world, adapted to suit the specific conditions of the BS2000/OSD environment. This guarantees a standardized user interface, as well as administration and interoperability of the products across system boundaries.
The following standard applications and services are available with interNet Services (TELNET, FTP, OpenSSH und e-Mail are available as both servers and clients):
- The TELNET client runs in interactive mode under TIAM or POSIX, enabling connections to be set up to other computers in the network. The TELNET server runs in batch mode, receives connection requests from TELNET clients in other computers, and forwards them to TIAM in the local BS2000 computer.
- The FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client runs in interactive mode under TIAM or POSIX, enabling connections to be set up to other computers in the network. The FTP server runs in batch mode, receives connection requests from FTP clients in other computers, and executes their jobs in separate subtasks on the local BS2000 computer.
- DNS (Domain Name Service) and DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name Service) Directory services in the network for all relevant information on users and resources.
- NTP (Network Time Protocol) permits a reference clock time to be distributed and synchronized in a network.
- E-Mail enables in the BS2000/OSD to send, receive and process e-mails encrypted and / or signed via the access services (SMTP, POP3 and IMAP). The mail services in the interNet Services product include the components SMTP Mail Server, POP3 Server, IMAP Server, Mail Sender and Mail Reader.
- OpenSSL (Secure Socket Layer) allows encrypted transfer of user data with the socket applications FTP and TELNET, and also provides security for accesses to DNS servers.
- OpenSSH (Secure Shell) under POSIX makes possible secured communication over insecure networks.