Fujitsu Celebrates 20 Years of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY
- Newest generation PRIMERGY systems – featuring Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family – drive power and cooling economies in the data center
- Thanks to the business-centric versatile performance of PRIMERGY servers, customers benefit from lower costs over the extended lifecycle of the system
- To mark 20 years of PRIMERGY, Fujitsu is looking for the longest-running PRIMERGY system in use
To underline PRIMERGY’s virtues of proven quality, Fujitsu has started the search for the world’s longest-running, still productive PRIMERGY system2 – and will help celebrate the brand’s 20th anniversary by upgrading this legacy server to a state-of-the-art PRIMERGY system for free?.
With a new Fujitsu server system being sold around the world on average every 27.5 seconds3, Fujitsu PRIMERGY enables businesses to achieve competitive advantage by delivering the server performance and reliability they need, while exponentially reducing data center costs. Efficiency is, and has always been, at the heart of the company’s strategy for PRIMERGY, and the servers were already energy efficient even before the phrase became popular.
In fact, PRIMERGY server energy efficiency has improved by a factor of 28 within the last seven years, over several server generations. This is just one example of the highest quality standards to which Fujitsu builds PRIMERGY servers: every system is subject to comprehensive and rigorous testing to make sure that it will not just meet, but exceed industry standards.
In developing the next generation of PRIMERGY servers, Fujitsu not only wanted to apply its 20 years of experience, but also once again make business-centric improvements to the systems, based on extensive knowledge and feedback from PRIMERGY customers. As a consequence, the new generation of PRIMERGY systems joins a long line of world-record breakers in the areas of application performance and datacenter virtualization. New breakthrough results have been achieved by the two-processor PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 server on the two-tier SAP® Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark (achieving 16,000 SAP SD Benchmark users4), as well as in VMware VMmark 2.5.2, where the system achieved a result of 26.48@22 tiles5.
Uwe Neumeier, Vice President Global Server Business, Fujitsu
“Over the last 20 years, Fujitsu PRIMERGY servers have helped to shape ICT, while setting new standards in quality, efficiency and agility. The new PRIMERGY generation is no exception and introduces innovations that contribute to solving data center management challenges. Customers choosing PRIMERGY can be confident that they are buying a system which provides modular building blocks for future requirements of a business-centric data center.”
Shannon Poulin, Vice President, Data Center Group, Intel
“The new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family provides PRIMERGY servers with an incredible combination of performance, built-in capabilities and cost-effectiveness. Together with Fujitsu’s many server innovations, they provide customers with highly efficient, record-performing server solutions to address the diverse workloads and rapidly evolving needs of today’s data centers.”
Shaun Walsh, Senior Vice President Marketing, Emulex
“Emulex and Fujitsu have developed a new model for network I/O with the modular design of the Fujitsu PRIMERGY DynamicLoM architecture based on the Emulex EngineTM (XE)100 series Ethernet controller. This solution delivers application acceleration with RDMA over Converged Ethernet (RoCE), scales new workloads with up to a 4x boost in small packet performance, lowers operational cost with hardware offloads and provides the right I/O roadmap for next generation servers using the Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v3 family.”
Pricing and availability
The new generation of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY systems will be available directly from Fujitsu and via distribution partners starting from the end of September 2014. New models include the PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 rack server, the PRIMERGY BX2560 M1 server blade and the CX400 M1 scale-out infrastructure with CX2550 M1 and CX2570 M1 server nodes. Prices vary by region, model and configuration.
Notes to editors
Highlights of the new generation of PRIMERGY include:
- More versatile performance to overcome data growth
- Boosted application performance by up to 56 percent6 featuring the new Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v3 product family as well as DDR4 memory technology.
- Ability to individually adapt current server networks and flexibility to meet future requirements with new DynamicLoM technology.
- Extended Cool-safe® Advanced Thermal Design as part of a uniform data center concept for selected PRIMERGY servers, ETERNUS storage systems and network switches which support ambient data center temperatures of up to 40°C, enabling customers to save energy and cooling costs.
- Reduced costs via Fujitsu’s energy management solution that identifies energy inefficient systems of heterogeneous IT infrastructures and provides strategies and action plans to improve energy efficiency.
- Foundation for trust and security to meet increased demand for IT resource availability
- Optimized data center operations that significantly reduce downtime costs and increase process quality by automating contingency processes.
- Reduced time required to implement new IT projects while simultaneously improving service level agreements, with Fujitsu’s PAN Manager offering now also supported by selected PRIMERGY RX and CX systems.
- Free of charge provisioning of BIOS versions, firmware and software updates. Fujitsu continues not to charge customers to provide access to upgrades that simplify system management, therefore reducing the impact on IT resources.
- Innovations which simplify the management, therefore freeing up IT resources
- ServerView Embedded Lifecycle Management consolidates and enhances management functionalities that are directly available (‘embedded‘) within the server for simplified and highly integrated management processes.
- ServerView Agentless Service separates the various networks for productive and management data for enhanced data security.
- ServerView System Monitor is particularly designed for easy and low-overhead management of small and distributed server installations.
1 20 years of FUJITSU Server PRIMERGY Systems:
The Fujitsu x86-server portfolio has been helping to shape the ICT industry for 20 years. During that time, Fujitsu has concentrated on using its technology to solve customer’ technology issues. Thanks to continuous adaptation to industry trends and a continually evolving ICT landscape, Fujitsu has developed new approaches to cloud computing, data analytics and high performance computing. Some milestones:
- In 1994, Fujitsu developed its first x86-based industry-standard PRIMERGY servers.
- In 1998, Fujitsu introduced the previously unprecedented ability for customers to scale up in x86 environments, with the introduction of the first 8-way server, the PRIMERGY N800/K800.
- The first PRIMERGY blade servers in 2002, the PRIMERGY BX300 line, presented customers with new horizons in terms of flexibility, scalability and data center economics.
- In 2006, Fujitsu released the PRIMERGY BX630, the first scalable octo-socket server blade, based on an Advanced Blade Ecosystem.
- Since 2008, with the introduction of PRIMERGY ServerView Virtual I/O Manager software, Fujitsu has enabled customers to dramatically reduce networking costs and simplify the management of servers in network environments while still enjoying the highest flexibility in tems of operation.
- In 2009, Fujitsu introduced a massive scale-out computing platform delivering extreme-performance and highly energy efficient server architecture, with the introduction of the revolutionary PRIMERGY CX server line.
- In 2012, Fujitsu was the first vendor to offer a ‘Cluster-in-a-box’ solution. Recently extended, this solution offers mid-sized organizations and branch offices the ability to protect their important data and business-critical services with only a minimal investment of money, administration efforts and time.
2 For terms and conditions, please see: http://www.fujitsu.com/20years-primergy
3 Based on Fujitsu shipments from the 2013 calendar year, calculated on the basis of 250 working days each made up of 8 hours.
4 PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 achieved 16,000 SD benchmark users on the two-tier SAP SD standard application benchmark. The server was configured with Intel Xeon processor E5-2699 v3, 2 processors / 36 cores / 72 threads, Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, and the SAP enhancement package 5 for the SAP ERP 6.0 application. The SAP certification number was not available at press time. Benchmark comparisons stated above reflect results published on http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx as of September 08, 2014. SAP and all SAP logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of SAP AG in Germany and in several other countries.
5 The VMmark result of 26.48@22 tiles was achieved by two Fujitsu PRIMERGY Server RX2540 M1, each with 512 GB of memory, using Intel® Xeon® E5-2699 v3 processors. Full test results including system specification, further details and current results can be found at: http://www.vmware.com/a/vmmark/.The comparison reflects the status on? September 8, 2014. For information about VMmark and the rules regarding its usage visit: http://www.vmware.com/products/vmmark. VMware and VMmark are trademarks or registered trademarks of VMware, Inc. VMware® VMmark™ is a product of VMware, Inc.
6 Comparison based on two-tier SAP Sales and Distribution (SD) standard application benchmark: PRIMERGY RX300 S8 featuring Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2697 v2, 2 processors / 24 cores / 48 threads, achieved 10,240 benchmark users (Windows Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, SAP enhancement package 5 for SAP ERP 6.0, certification 2013024) while the PRIMERGY RX2540 M1 featuring Intel Xeon processor E5-2699 v3, 2 processors / 36 cores / 72 threads, achieved 16,000 benchmark users4.
Fujitsu is a leading provider of ICT-based business solutions for the global marketplace. With approximately 170,000 employees supporting customers in 70 countries, Fujitsu combines a worldwide corps of systems and services experts with highly reliable computing and communications products and advanced microelectronics to deliver added value to customers. Headquartered in Tokyo, Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.5 trillion yen (US$55 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2011. For more information, please see: www.fujitsu.com.
Address: Square Marie Curie 12, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Phone: +32 (0) 2 536 64 15
Mobile: +32 (0) 473 96 06 43
Fax: +32 (0) 2 536 64 12
Marketing & Communications Manager
Date: 18 September, 2014