Fujitsu PalmSecure Puts Your Identity Back in Your Hands
Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Munich/Hanover, March 05, 2013
- Fujitsu launches innovative authentication solutions based on its PalmSecure technology
- Italian banking group UniCredit has developed the first commercially-viable biometric payment system, based on Fujitsu PalmSecure
Fujitsu today announces the general availability of innovative authentication solutions based on its PalmSecure technology, which uses individuals’ unique palm vein patterns to combat identity fraud. With Fujitsu PalmSecure, a contactless scan of the palm vein pattern of a user’s hand is enough to confirm their identity, using biometrics that are more secure, harder to defraud and easier to use than traditional authentication methods, such as Chip & PIN. Fujitsu PalmSecure is introduced at CeBIT taking place in Hanover, Germany.
Fraudulent use of electronic authentication technology such as Chip & PIN is a multi-million dollar problem for banks and Government agencies worldwide. By adopting Fujitsu PalmSecure, which reads an individual’s unique pattern of oxygen-depleted veins on the palm of hand, users can be authenticated in seconds, simply by holding their hand over a sensor.
Fujitsu PalmSecure is a robust and massively scalable enterprise solution that is easily adapted to a wide variety of applications in vertical industries. Based on its heritage in developing ICT infrastructures, combined with the strength of its global services organization, Fujitsu is already in discussions with organizations considering the introduction of PalmSecure for industries ranging from aviation – where it could be used to replace boarding cards – to entertainment and retail.1 Client software and technical support services are also included in each solution.
UniCredit Papillon – to pay, just reach out your hand
Fujitsu PalmSecure enables people to return to a time when their hand is their bond: there is no credit card or key, no PIN number to remember, no fingerprints and no need for complicated and expensive iris scanning. Simply a swipe of the hand proves identity beyond reasonable doubt. UniCredit is testing the roll-out of its Papillon payment system, based on Fujitsu PalmSecure technology.
In December 2012, the major European commercial banking group UniCredit carried out the first of a series of proof-of-concept tests of its Papillon payment system which is based on Fujitsu PalmSecure technology. Fujitsu provided the sensor which captures the payer’s unique vein pattern data, a Solution Development Kit enabling UniCredit to independently develop its bespoke application and solution, plus project support. UniCredit plans to gradually introduce Papillon, primarily as a mobile payment mechanism and to complement other payment methods.
Dr Joseph Reger, Chief Technology Officer, Fujitsu Technology Solutions
“PalmSecure is a proof point of Fujitsu’s increasing focus on end-to-end technology solutions designed to solve real-world problems, and is already tried, tested and proven to combat identity fraud. In the future, as companies of all sizes rely ever more heavily on technology innovation to run their business, solutions like Fujitsu PalmSecure will provide early adopters with a huge competitive advantage in the market.”
Pricing and availability
Fujitsu PalmSecure is available in Central Europe, Middle East, Africa and India as a tailored security solution direct from Fujitsu. Price varies depending on component configuration and related services required.
Notes to editors
Fujitsu PalmSecure technology: How it works
Fujitsu PalmSecure scans the unique pattern of veins within the palm. As veins are internal in the body and have a wealth of differentiating features resulting in high levels of certainty, attempts to forge an identity are virtually impossible. Featuring industry-leading authentication accuracy with extremely low false rates, the non-intrusive and contactless reader device provides ease of use with virtually no physiological restriction for any and all users. The no-touch sensor also helps prevent the spread of germs and diseases, which are mostly transmitted by hand.
The PalmSecure Palm Vein Unit emits near-infrared rays that are absorbed by deoxidized hemoglobin present in blood flowing through the patient's palm veins. A proprietary algorithm takes this image, converts it into a digitized biometric template, and then matches it against a database of pre-registered templates. lf a perfect match is found, identity is verified.
- Aircraft industry: physical access to aircraft
- Airports: facility access control solutions
- Automotive: antitheft, access to services
- Banks: ATM withdrawals, IT infrastructure log in, online banking
- Datacenter: sealed infrastructure, access control
- Enterprises: IT infrastructure log in and single sign in, physical access control, time & attendance
- Entertainment: casino access control, gym access control, cruise ship access control
- Government: patient authentication, social security, national ID card, tax treatment
- Industrial: physical access control, time & attendance
- Retail: cash register control and access, cashless payment
- Cloud: Secured cloud access
Fujitsu PalmSecure Contactless Palm Vein Pattern Authentication Technology - Features
- Small form factor: 35×35×27mm
- Fast authentication: Below 1 second authentication
- Wide operable temperature range: Up to 60°C, and so expands the range of possible outdoor application
- Extensive connectivity: USB Connectivity or embedded directly into the keyboards of desktop PCs
- Worldwide technical support: A dedicated PalmSecure support website
- Unique: Vein patterns are unique to individuals and contain detailed characteristics1
- Accurate: Advanced matching algorithms produce high level of accuracy2
- Universal Applicability: Technology can be used by virtually everyone
- Versatile: Readily deployable to wide range of applications
- Hygienic: Contact-less user interface addresses hygiene concerns
- Non-invasive: Simple to use user interface promotes high level of user acceptance
- Reliable: Field-proven technology with built-in forgery protection
- Certification: PalmSecure has got Common Criteria Certification EAL 2 by German BSI
1Based on Fujitsu research.
2Internal research by Fujitsu resulted in a false acceptance rate of less than 0.00008% and a false rejection rate of only 0.01%. False acceptance rate is a rate at which someone other than the actual person is falsely recognized. False rejection rate is a rate at which the actual person is not recognized accurately.
Fujitsu is the leading Japanese information and communication technology (ICT) company offering a full range of technology products, solutions and services. Approximately 170,000 Fujitsu people support customers in more than 100 countries. We use our experience and the power of ICT to shape the future of society with our customers. Fujitsu Limited (TSE:6702) reported consolidated revenues of 4.4 trillion yen (US$47 billion) for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2013. For more information, please see http://www.fujitsu.com
About Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Fujitsu Technology Solutions is the leading European IT infrastructure provider with a presence in all key markets in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, plus India, serving large, medium-sized and small businesses. The company offers a full portfolio of IT products, business solutions and services, ranging from workplace systems to datacenter solutions, managed services, and cloud-based software and solutions. Fujitsu Technology Solutions employs approximately 13,000 people and is part of the global Fujitsu Group. For more information, please see: ts.fujitsu.com/aboutus
All other company or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners. Information provided in this press release is accurate at time of publication and is subject to change without advance notice.
Dr. Laura Bonamici
Phone:+49 89 62060 4454
Company:Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Corporate Communications Team
Phone:+49 89 30 90 51629